Re: Brief diary of an F-7 installation

Les Mikesell wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:

I'm pretty sure the Anaconda/Fedora developers
have a political preference for Gnome over KDE,
and so make it more difficult to choose KDE.
I think people should have a free choice.

I think you have a political preference against Anaconda developers and assuming their motivations without asking them is rather rude. Just stop doing that. Users always have the "free choice" to select "customize now" in the installation.

Who picks the defaults and why?

People who build the distribution.

I haven't seen any community poll or
feedback mechanism for what the most people would prefer as the default.

Community != democracy. Fedora in particular is more of a meritocratic system.

Why have any preset default?

The same reason why any distribution has a default mail server, text editor ....

Rahul