Re: tons of spam

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 09:09 -0400, Randy Vice wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Ed Greshko wrote:

jdow wrote:
Chu - directing that at greshko might have been more appropriate.
"Ed" was most impolite for no good reason. "Scroom and the horse
he rode in on," would be a suitable reply for Ed's behavior.

I'm not sure about "no good reason".  Somebody signs up for a mailing list
with their "normal" email address and it gets harvested and they get more
spam and then say the distribution is flawed based on that.....well it just
gets my goat.  The induhvidual blames everyone except themselves.

Let's not get into a tit for tat on "behavior" shall we.  I can surely point
out times where others "behavior" went over my line....or is it over your
line....or is it over some imaginary line....

The simple point I suppose I should have made is...you put your email
address on a public list and you expose yourself to spam.  Should the email
list be responsible to protect you from your folly?  I think not.

It would nice if Fedora was to setup spam filters when someone selects
a SMTP to be installed.  Sort of like how IPtables is setup to be
installed and running at boot.

Randy
How about pointing out that Linux has spam fighting programs that can be
used?

That would be the preconfigured spam filters that would be installed when someone selects a SMTP to be installed. I'm more of a end user and the last time I attempted to configure sendmail to use a filter, I broke it. It maybe a simple process for those who are system admins, for some of us, it can be complicated vs just deleting tons of spam daily.

Randy

--
: damocles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx : Bruce Morrow, a man before and after his time :
: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood  :