Re: Cisco's VPN client in Fedora 7?

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 02:40:59AM +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:

> >> If there are problems with the attachment, try it from here:
> >>
> >>   http://home.comcast.net/~marc_schwartz/vpnclient-linux-2.6.19.diff
> >
> > Thanks, that did the trick!
> >

> Wait a minute now, is this something other than
>
> > rpm -qi vpnc
> Name        : vpnc                         Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version     : 0.4.0                             Vendor: Fedora Project
> Release     : 2.fc7                         Build Date: Tue Mar 20
> 09:23:18 2007
> Install Date: Sun Jun  3 11:23:18 2007      Build Host:
> hammer2.fedora.redhat.com
> Group       : Applications/Internet         Source RPM:
> vpnc-0.4.0-2.fc7.src.rpm
> Size        : 143445                           License: GPL
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon May 21 14:22:46 2007, Key ID b44269d04f2a6fd2
> Packager    : Fedora Project <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
> URL         : http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/
> Summary     : IPSec VPN client compatible with Cisco equipment
> Description :
> A VPN client compatible with Cisco's EasyVPN equipment.
>
> Supports IPSec (ESP) with Mode Configuration and Xauth.  Supports only
> shared-secret IPSec authentication, 3DES, MD5, and IP tunneling.
>

> I just convinced the IT dept. from my company to grant me vpn access and
> I'm supposed to get it tomorrow, and I was relying on the fact that I can
> use the above vpnc rpm.
>
> Which vpn client are you using?

I use vpnc and it works fine for me. (though I'm not using F7)
I like it better than Cisco's client because (among other reasons)
it doesn't insert a kernel module that needs to be recompiled for
every new kernel.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                       I can do all things through Christ