Re: Cisco's VPN client in Fedora 7?

"Amadeus W.M." <amadeus84@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> If there are problems with the attachment, try it from here:
>>>
>>>   http://home.comcast.net/~marc_schwartz/vpnclient-linux-2.6.19.diff
>>
>> Thanks, that did the trick!
>>

> Wait a minute now, is this something other than
>
>> rpm -qi vpnc
> Name        : vpnc                         Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version     : 0.4.0                             Vendor: Fedora Project
> Release     : 2.fc7                         Build Date: Tue Mar 20
> 09:23:18 2007
> Install Date: Sun Jun  3 11:23:18 2007      Build Host:
> hammer2.fedora.redhat.com
> Group       : Applications/Internet         Source RPM:
> vpnc-0.4.0-2.fc7.src.rpm
> Size        : 143445                           License: GPL
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon May 21 14:22:46 2007, Key ID b44269d04f2a6fd2
> Packager    : Fedora Project <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
> URL         : http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/
> Summary     : IPSec VPN client compatible with Cisco equipment
> Description :
> A VPN client compatible with Cisco's EasyVPN equipment.
>
> Supports IPSec (ESP) with Mode Configuration and Xauth.  Supports only
> shared-secret IPSec authentication, 3DES, MD5, and IP tunneling.
>

> I just convinced the IT dept. from my company to grant me vpn access and
> I'm supposed to get it tomorrow, and I was relying on the fact that I can
> use the above vpnc rpm.
>
> Which vpn client are you using?

The actual Cisco VPN client.  I have not had success in getting vpnc
to work (even with NetworkManager), so I continue to use the official
Cisco client package. It just takes the patch I posted to work,
subsequent to changes in the 2.6.19 kernels.

If you can get vpnc to work, fine. If not, get your IT folks to help
with using the Cisco application.  It is pretty easy to install and
set up.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz