Re: LVM or FS:EXT3?

On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 11:44 +0100, John bowden wrote:
> I do a lot of drive swapping, got a number of machines on my network
> to play with and always getting hold of second hand drives to play
> around with.

If you like swapping drives, especially between Linux system, do your
partitioning of drives outside of the Fedora installation process so
that you can give the partitions unique labels.

In the past I had to relabel some partitions so that I could plug in
another drive without conflicts (having two /home labels doesn't work,
for instance, likewise for other mount points).  Which meant
relabelling, editing fstab, and rebooting.  And some fussing about to
make the swap partition with a name I wanted (hda7-swap is stupid if the
drive is actually sdc).  This time, I did it before installing.  I named
the drive (with texta), and used that as a prefix with the partition
labels.

So the /boot mount point has a label of fred/boot rather than
just /boot, and so on.  They're mounted on the tree, as usual (as /boot,
and so on), but the labels are unique (other drives have other names, or
no prefixes).

Now I can easily mount fred/home, no matter where the drive is plugged
in, with a commmand like "mount -L fred/home /home".  I don't have to
work out if it's /dev/sda or /dev/sdb, nor sda3 or sda6.

--
(This box runs Centos 5.0, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & 7, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.