Re: LVM or FS:EXT3?

On Sunday 17 June 2007 12:36:43 Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 11:44 +0100, John bowden wrote:
> > I do a lot of drive swapping, got a number of machines on my network
> > to play with and always getting hold of second hand drives to play
> > around with.
>
> If you like swapping drives, especially between Linux system, do your
> partitioning of drives outside of the Fedora installation process so
> that you can give the partitions unique labels.
>
> In the past I had to relabel some partitions so that I could plug in
> another drive without conflicts (having two /home labels doesn't work,
> for instance, likewise for other mount points).  Which meant
> relabelling, editing fstab, and rebooting.  And some fussing about to
> make the swap partition with a name I wanted (hda7-swap is stupid if the
> drive is actually sdc).  This time, I did it before installing.  I named
> the drive (with texta), and used that as a prefix with the partition
> labels.
>
> So the /boot mount point has a label of fred/boot rather than
> just /boot, and so on.  They're mounted on the tree, as usual (as /boot,
> and so on), but the labels are unique (other drives have other names, or
> no prefixes).
>
> Now I can easily mount fred/home, no matter where the drive is plugged
> in, with a commmand like "mount -L fred/home /home".  I don't have to
> work out if it's /dev/sda or /dev/sdb, nor sda3 or sda6.
>
> --
> (This box runs Centos 5.0, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & 7, in case
> that's important to the thread.)

I have got 2 external usb drive enclosures, one is a little 20Gb laptop drive
that is formated with FAT32 so I can easily share data with windoz machines,
mainly friends that I'm fixing, its great as it takes its power from the usb
and a 80GB 3.5" formatted with FS:EXT3 for my Linux machines. But I also tend
to get second hand drives and tend to chuck them in under /home/john/johns
shareXXMb and let samber share them.

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of parliment
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)