Re: Cannot upgrade from FC6->F7. No upgrade option given in install screen. (and RAID remnant)

Lou Spironello wrote:
Dear Jim:

Please forgive me for NOT including fstab.  I thought I had but I did
 not.  Since I am currently not at my machine and "out of the
building" I cannot upload my fstab, however, I can asure you that all
devices referenced in fstab are labeled as well as any partition on
the disk.

I think that you sent it before. I remember all of the d# entries. It might be good to use e2label and add meaningful labels to the mountpoints, evwn if you use d and the number. That way if there is some change in the future affecting device naming, you will be one step safer.

I still see remnants of raid, i.e. /dev/md0 continues to be created
upon reboot. I was #fedora irc yesterday speaking with someone who
seem quite knowledgeable about these issue and he suggested to comment
out the template reference to the md device in
/dev/makedev.d/01linux-2.6.??? /dev/md0 was recreated upon reboot again.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought the md device was gone after running the gauntlet of disk management utilities.

This link briefly talks about some md management and udev. I only see topics which may clear up what raid is doing.

http://www.issociate.de/board/post/429713/removed_disk_&&_md-device.html

The next article sounds informative to familiarize one regarding raid. I will probably read the article in depth. There has to be some clue as to how to prevent the md0 at zero byte from lingering around the disk.

re: the confusing in the installer.  I thought about that when I saw
the FC6 had labeled /boot as /boot1 and /usr as /usr1 so I relabeled
those /boot1->/boot and /usr1->/boot and nada.  Didn't fix it.

Usually that happens if you have another installation on the same computer. I have had several /1, /boot1 entries on my multi-version Fedora computers. As you found out, only the references to whatever it is called matters. If I use e2label, I usually label using a variety of names.

/etc/fstab

<snip>

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
 devpts                /dev/pts        devpts gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0 LABEL=/home /home ext3 defaults 1 2 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0 LABEL=/usr /usr ext3 defaults 1 2 LABEL=SWAP-hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/hdc1 /mnt/d1 ext3 defaults 0 0
>/dev/hdc2               /mnt/d2            ext3    defaults 0 0
/dev/hdc3 /mnt/d3 ext3 defaults 0 0 /dev/hdd1 /mnt/d4 ext3 defaults 0 0 /dev/hdd2 /mnt/d5 ext3 defaults 0 0
>/dev/hdd3               /mnt/d6            ext3    defaults 0 0
/dev/hdd4               /mnt/d7            ext3    defaults 0 0

</snip>

I just tried the f7-updates.img using: linux
updates=http:/people.redhat.com/clumens/f7-updates.img

and anaconda prompted for local ip and appeared to retrieve the
image.

However, that apparently didn't fix the problem.  After it searched
for previous releases I received the "Partition Type" screen with no
screen to select the type of install, i.e. install or upgrade.

I was not sure if your problem would be fixed by the updated image. Briefly reading the explanation on how to use the updated image it seems you launch the DVD and choose the additional updates selection. I was thinking that it was just a boot disk which would ask for file location.

I'm at my wits end.  I'm attempting to move /etc /home /usr/local
/var/www but thinking that might have to reformat but I don't know if
I have the space to move the files.

Someone mentioned tarring up the information, splitting them into 4 GB files awhile back or something along those lines.

Any other ideas?  Ideas about removing that /dev/md0 device?

The installer anaconda incorporates disk druid which I believe you could remove the raid element. I don't know if you could remove the md and not mess up your system by the installer going on after the disk information is saved or not. I assume the installer will go ahead and overwrite or copy to the same locations.

Regarding ideas to gt rid of raid, I have no ideas other than just don't do Raid in the first place. A David Gilmour song come to mind. "No Way out" .. (In for good)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again. Regards, Lou

- What about you labels in fstab? would they confuse the installer?
Are they LABEL references or device references?

The /dev/hdc# and /dev/hdd# entries could confuse the installer.

I would backup important information and then try a yum upgrade to FC7. I did one and it worked out OK to allow what used to work to still work after upgrade. I dd not need to reconfigure the system.

Maybe someone familiar with raid will chime in. I seem to remember something on the test list being discussed regarding a command to issue to get rid of raid. You might ask on the test ist or search the archive for information.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Awww.redhat.com%2Farchives%2Ffedora-test-list+raid&btnG=Search

Jim