Re: Fedora 7

Mauriat M wrote:
On 6/7/07, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm trying to install Thunderbird 2.0 on this Fedora 7 Linux. When I tar
xvfz the download package in the directory is a thunderbird. I tried to
start that as I do all the time on Fedora Core 4 and I get this:

This is not recommended. If possible install the version of
thunderbird supported by Fedora 7. If you have an high speed internet
connection run:
# su -c 'yum install thunderbird'
(when prompted for the passed, enter your root password).

If you are unable to run yum, try downloading the RPM directly:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/thunderbird-2.0.0.0-1.fc7.i386.rpm
Install:
# su -c 'rpm -ivh thunderbird-2.0.0.0-1.fc7.i386.rpm'

By doing this Thunderbird will show up in the menu's and can better
integrate with Fedora.

isp                 libsmime3.so     mozilla-xremote-client
libfreebl3.chk      libsoftokn3.chk  README.txt
[karl@localhost thunderbird]$ ./thunderbird
./thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5:
cannot
[karl@localhost thunderbird]$

It can't find libstdc++.so.5

I tried %/usr/bin/fedora and it said no such file

[karl@localhost ~]$ work/thunderbird/thunderbird
work/thunderbird/thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries:
libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[karl@localhost ~]$

[karl@localhost ~]$ whereis libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++.so: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
[karl@localhost ~]$

So if Thunderbird is looking for xxx.so.5 it will not find it. Seems to
me I did some sim links once to fix this stupid problem

This is unnecessary if you use the Fedora version. Since the version
provided from Mozilla is compiled differently it requires a
compatibility library: 'compat-libstdc++-33'. This can be installed
via yum like above, or if you must, you can also download and install
manually.

-Mauriat

Well I got the info to yum the lib file which I did and that then allowed thunderbird from the Mozilla web page to work. This is in fact written in Fedora 7 on thunderbird that now runs.

73 Karl Larsen

PS: Thanks to you all for the fast help :-)