Re: network monitoring

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On Wednesday 06 June 2007 12:16:34 Andy Green wrote:
>>> Yep no doubt.  But what does it mean?  It's now a reasonable duty
>>> expected of the company to read all the employee traffic and you are
>>> negligent if you're not doing it?  Don't worry it's just a rhetorical
>>> question.
>>>
>> No, there's no obligation to do that - it's just that if you don't you
>> can be imprisoned for the behaviour of your employee.  I doubt if any
>> company routinely monitor like that, but if it was suspected that
>> someone was using company time and bandwidth for an illegal purpose,
>> it would certainly be sensible to monitor that person's activities for
>> a time.  It's not something I ever needed to do, but I can see that it
>> could happen.
>
> I don't think there is anything new or special about email here.  A
> company can't knowingly allow any of their equipment to be used for
> illegal purposes.  What would you do if you thought an employee was
> making bomb threats from a company phone?

NBIALH....  (No Body Is A Lawyer Here) .... But sure, a company can
knowingly allow their equipment to be used for illegal purposes.  Sure, I
can tell you how to snoop on your users.  Will your actions be legal?  Will
my telling how to do it be legal?  Damed if I know....so I remain silent on
the issue.

You go figure it out and be responsible for your actions in the jurisdiction
within you live.

--
There are times when truth is stranger than fiction and lunch time is one
of them.