Re: ulimit revisited

On 01Jun2007 13:02, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| This ulimit bs is attacking me again.  I thought putting it into the rc.local
| file would be a universal fix, but it appears not to be the case.

Ulimit applies to the current shell and any descendants. rc.local runs
in its own shell. It is not the parent of everything.

| It appears in my checks just now, to be shell invocation specific, so I've now
| added that to my .bashrc.

That will work for interactive shells. And for login shells on many
systems.

| If it fails this time, it will make 5 times now
| that I've restarted k3b & sat 10 minutes through the md5sum operations just
| to find out I can't do this.

Um, wouldn't it be better to run "ulimit" without args to see if they
have had effect before starting your app?

| Seems to me there ought to be a better way to do this error reporting up front
| instead of subjecting the user to all this wash, rinse, repeat folderol.
| k3b should check this immediately on clicking one of the burn iso image icons.

Dunno. Shall it also check for enough disc space and write permission to
everywhere it needs to write and of course any totally oddball SELinux
policies that may be active on the system and wherther the target
filesystem supports what it's doing and ... it's an open ended list,
and an opportunity for every app to be much slower.

IMO, generally apps should presume they're being invoked in an environment
where there are sufficient resources. They should only need to check
specially for security reasons (or to coddle the user I guess).

I'd expect there should be something /etc/sysconfig for controlling this
stuff, but I can't see one immediately myself.

What setting exactly do you need to fiddle with and why? I've missed the
background.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/