Re: CentOS vs stability: req a Fedora / RHEL perspective

Tony Nelson wrote:

Does RHEL work this way also?  Or does RH provide security updates for,
e.g., RHEL 4.4 now that 4.5 is out?
I think there is some difference in the repository handling but it's
basically the same if you want to stay up to date.  That is you can't
get the security-only parts of 4.5 or beyond without taking the
bugfixes, but you do have the choice to update only certain programs.

That choice would be mostly by hand yum-updating, right?  Do a yum update,
sa "no", pick the parts I want and yum update package1 package2?

Yes - but there is rarely a reason to do that with stock centos packages.

Am I just missing something?  I'm new to setting up and maintaining servers.
The 4.5 updates were unusual if not shocking in including changes that
affect device naming and interface selection order in some machines.
Makes me feel better about being too lazy to update a lot of machines
still happily runing 3.8 with no problems...  When I can figure out how
to make Sun java work with tomcat, etc., I'll jump all the up to a 5.x
version.  My theory has always been that Linux kernels become stable
somewhere around the X.X.20 release...  (At least when there was an
odd-numbered unstable version for development - maybe 2.6 will never
stabilize).

OK.  The 4.5 update was the first one I experienced.  I have been thinking
that there might be some advantage to using the trailing edge for this
project, as you do, but I can probably deal with the changes.

I'd guess that's the biggest set of changes we'll see for 4.x. I had 3.x servers in production before 4.x was released and had to pick something for a larger rollout right after its release and went with the sure thing. Even a few months later I would have used 4.x and just been a little more careful about testing the new kernels before updating the remote boxes.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx