CentOS vs stability: req a Fedora / RHEL perspective

I'm setting up a server with CentOS (well, a test server (a Qemu VM), a
main server, and a backup server (both Xen slices)), one each with CentOS
4.4, 4.5, and 5.0, and it all works.  It's also one more version of CentOS
than I was expecting, as the test server got suddenly upgraded to CentOS
4.5 during a 200 MB update.  I then found the FAQ that explained that
CentOS does this a few times a year, and that the old point releases are
archives that won't receive any more updates; that is, to get security
updates one has to accept all the updates and version upgrades.  This isn't
quite what I expected for a "stable" OS; rather it's more like Fedora (6),
which also just got a large update.

Does RHEL work this way also?  Or does RH provide security updates for,
e.g., RHEL 4.4 now that 4.5 is out?

Am I just missing something?  I'm new to setting up and maintaining servers.