Re: help with apache

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 19:57 -0500, Scott Berry wrote:
> One other question does the /var/www/html folder have to be world
> readable or what permissions are best?

Standard permissions are user, group, and other.  Anybody connecting to
your website is highly unlikely to be a local user.  Typically, they're
an other person, so that's the traditional way to configure things for
web serving:  Making files readable for the other user, and making
directories readable and executable for the other user.  Parent
directories have to be executable for the other user.  The /var/www/html
directory path is already set with the standard permissions.

User permissions apply to the author/maintainer of the site.  Group
permissions are usually ignored, unless you're doing group projects and
making use of them for authoring purposes.

Additionally, keep the files and directories in there owned by someone
other than Apache.  You want other people to be able to read them, you
don't want others to be able to write them.  Apache will try and use the
files as the apache user, since it doesn't actually own the files (and
shouldn't), the other user permissions will be applied.

Some example minimum permissions:

rwx-----x  root root  /var/
rwx---r-x  root root  /var/www/
rwx---r-x  root root  /var/www/html/
rwx---r--  tim  root  /var/www/html/homepage.html
rwx---r-x  tim  root  /var/www/html/images/
rwx---r--  tim  root  /var/www/html/images/picture.jpeg

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.