Re: help with apache

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 10:57 -0500, Scott Berry wrote:
> Here is the new apache-conf file.  I started from scratch like
> suggested on this list and then followed your steps Tim.

I'd write:  ServerName pilotalk.dyndns.biz:80
As just:  ServerName pilotalk.dyndns.biz

It's the "hostname" that the server responds as.  The port number is
someething else.

You can leave this as is:  UseCanonicalName Off

With it off, the server responds to all queries in the same manner as
the queries are made to it.  i.e. If someone made a request using it's
hostname, they'd get a page back using that hostname.  If they made a
request using just the IP, the response would come back the same.

With it on, any request that caused the server to generate a response
(such as a directory listing, or a default page) would come back with
the servername written as the hostname in the address, regardless of how
the browser queried the server.  i.e. If they asked for a page using an
address like http://pilotalk.dyndns.biz/ or http://67.54.156.245/ they'd
get the response back as http://pilotalk.dyndns.biz/.

That helps with consitence and caching - your server corrects requests
to use the addresses that you want them to use, rather than just
whatever works.

The rest looked okay.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.