Re: KMail + IMAP - help urgently sought

Matej Cepl wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2007 13:26:36 +0100, Timothy Murphy scripst:
>> I think the problem is that /var/spool/mail/* on the desktop has become
>> too large.
>>
>> Does one really have to keep email in mbox format in this directory if
>> running an IMAP server?
>
> Certainly not -- but that depends on the configuration of dovecot. Also
> purging of the account would help.

I don't know what you mean by "purging the account".
The wastebin is automatically emptied when I leave kmail.

Do you mean that there is a limit to the number of items
one can keep in one's inbox if using kmail + dovecot?

>> Is IMAP incompatible with maildir format?
>
> No.

Well, is dovecot IMAP compatible with kmail maildir format?

May I ask if you are actually running a dovecot server with kmail?
If so, where exactly does dovecot store email?

>> I used to share ~/Mail under NFS,
>> and that seemed to work reasonably well, but I was told by my betters
>> that I should use IMAP.
>
> They are right. The only change might be that kmail tends to have more
> mature dIMAP support than IMAP. And you want dIMAP anyway, in order to be
> able to work on your laptop even when disconnected from the network.
> Otherwise, dIMAP support in kmail (albeit on Debian) used to be very
> stable for me for many years with thousands of messages per account.

As far as I can see, dovecot does not offer dIMAP.

May I repeat my query:

1. Is anyone actually running kmail + dovecot (on a machine they control)
successfully?

2. If so, does the dovecot server keep email in a maildir format
that kmail will work with?

I realize there are other mail-readers apart from kmail,
and other IMAP servers apart from dovecot.

My question relates solely to kmail + dovecot.
Are they actually compatible?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366