Re: Wine and security

Carroll Grigsby wrote:

> Mikkel:
> Thanks for the reply. It was a bit of a shock to be able to install a program
> on a Linux system without having root privilege. I'll recover.

You can install programs in your home directory. If you create a bin
directory in your home directory, the executables you put there will
be on your path. I have a bunch of personal scripts there on my
system. I also have a couple of binaries in there as well.

I also build, and test programs as a normal user. The source tree in
in a directory off my home directory.  I can test the completed
binary by giving the path to it. (./<program> <options>) Now, if
/home is a separate partition, you can turn on executable permission
for the user's home directory in the mount options. But this is not
done by default.

What you can not do as a normal user is install into the normal
system tree. (You need to use su, or sudo.) You are allowed to shoot
yourself in the foot, but you have a hard time causing problems for
other users.

Mikkel