Re: Wine and security

Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> For no good reason other than curiosity, I installed wine today and then
> loaded an old Windows program from the 98SE era. Kinda neat. Installing wine
> required that I become root, of course, but I was able to install the Windows
> program as a user. Given the emphasis on security in Linux -- and
> particularly in Fedora -- I was amazed. FWIW, the program in question does
> not access the network, and I have SELinux disabled. Still...
>
> -- cmg

Two things to keep in mind:
 1. By default, the Windows program was installed in the .wine tree
in your home directory.

 2. When running, the Windows program only has as as much access as
the user that launched it. Or even less access, depending on how you
have Wine configured.

In other words, you can mess up your own files, but not the system.

Mikkel