Re: telnet from romote pc to adsl server

On 22/05/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Lux Zhang:
>>> I need telnet to access adsl server.

Tim:
>> Really bad idea.  Telnet is a really insecure protocol.  If you can
>> use ssh, use it, instead.

Lux Zhang:
> I have no choice, the modem can only handle telnet

Unless it's the modem, itself, that you're telnetting to, then that's
wrong.

A telnet server is usually something running on a computer (and that
seems to be what you've described), all a modem/router has to do is
forward the right port number through to the computer.  The port number
is whatever you choose, you don't have to use defaults, and the modem
doesn't care what goes through that port (telnet, SSH, HTTP, or anything
else).

If it is the modem that you need to telnet to, a far safer solution
might be to disalllow the modem to receive WWW telnet connections,
forward a SSH connection through to a PC inside your LAN, remote connect
to it in a secure manner, then telnet from that internal PC to your
modem.

Thanks Tim,

The road is

remote PC(External) -> internet ->modem->router->telnet/ftp/www server PC
 (internal)

I set address forward for ftp/telnet/www in modem BUT ONLY ftp/www in router, did not set (overlooked) the address for telnet. After set the addresses in both modem and router, the PC server can be accessed from the remote (external) computer.

> But  with remote  telnet I got this
>
> [zhang@tring ~]$ telnet 79.15.54.181  7777
> Trying 79.15.54.181...
> telnet: connect to address 79.15.54.181: Connection timed out
>
> In fact the server did show any response

And does that work if you try telnetting to port 7777 on a machine
inside your LAN rather than one outside it?  I saw your prior message
saying it worked inside your LAN, but 7777 is an unusual port to play
with.  Was it the same port number that you tested before?

I set this on the internal sever PC (opened port tcp/7777 in server PC and modem and router), BUT it is not working when access it from remote external PC to the internel server, I roll back to the default port

The default, for Fedora, is to run a firewall, so it could be blocked on
the machine running your server, itself.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.