Re: Checkbox for "Install Everything"

From: "Matthew Saltzman" <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxx>

On Mon, 21 May 2007, jdow wrote:

From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 19:33 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
How about making the "complete install" button do exactly that?  Then
the people who want the button would have it, so would have no cause
to complain.

As it gets occasionally pointed out.  It never did install everything,
and can't.  It's unavoidable that some things don't go together.

Fortune does not seem to be in the class of "everything". Go figure.

fortune-mod is in Extras in FC6. It wouldn't be reasonable to include Extras in an Everything install.

Fortune isn't even available from Red Hat in RHEL. IIRC, there was some discussion at one point about appropriateness of content for an enterprise installation as well as some licensing issues.

(Nor are some engineering tools.)

Some of those may be in Extras as well. The argument about what an Everything install should include will have to be reframed when F7 arrives.

(Would your Everything include fortune-firefly?)

Given the user base here if it was not utterly disgusting it'd be
included. But I think I have a special case here.

The missing engineering and SW development gewgaws very positively would
be installed. (As would some engineering software I've never seen in a
distro before.)

{^_-}