Re: telnet from romote pc to adsl server

On 21/05/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 19:51 +1000, Lux Zhang wrote:
> I need telnet to access adsl server.

Really bad idea.  Telnet is a really insecure protocol.  If you can use
ssh, use it, instead.

I have no choice, the modem can only handle telnet

> telnet server setup is right. telnet to that serevr within internal
> networked PC is ok. but when to access it from a remote PC, it shows
> following error, try google around  but can't find a clue. hope some
> one can offer help?
>
> getnameinfo: localhost: Success
> Temporary failure in name resolution: Illegal seek

Well, "localhost" always refers to the machine that you're already on.
Every machine sees itself as "localhost".  You need a unique name, or
address, to connect to a remote machine.

I walked around and fixed this problem.

But  with remote  telnet I got this

[zhang@tring ~]$ telnet 79.15.54.181   7777
Trying 79.15.54.181...
telnet: connect to address 79.15.54.181: Connection timed out

In fact the server did show any response

You need to pass the port that you're using (whether for telnet or ssh)
through the ADSL modem/router to the computer running the server.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.