Re: Fedora and Qwest

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 17:41 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I'm the first to say I know almost nothing about all this, but are
> you sure you aren't just thinking about it wrong?
>
> Perhaps the static IP address belong to the DSL modem? In that
> case things behind the modem would still use the modem itself
> as a gateway.

I think you have it dead on... the only way to use the IP address at the
computer / server itself is to set the DSL modem to "passthrough" mode.
Been there and done that. Otherwise the modem owns the static ip address
and assigns the traditional 192.168.1.* range of addresses to whatever
is hooked up to it. If you have a router to the modem, then it'll be
assigned something like 192.168.1.2 and then it'll assign the addresses
with DHCP or a static list that you have to configure using the routers
web interface that you can access using Firefox.

You do have to sorta wrap your mind around it, but it's doable!  Ric