Re: Fedora and Qwest

Frank Cox wrote:
> I am setting up a customized application server for a business in the USA and
> am at my wits end with Qwest Communications.
>
> My client called them to obtain a static IP address and they gave him the IP
> address, subnet and primary and secondary DNS server.  And that's it.  No
> gateway address.  (They told him that the gateway is 192.168.0.1, believe it
> or not.)  He told me that they refuse to give him the gateway address unless he
> wants a block of IP addresses.  They won't give it out if he just wants one
> address.
>
> I said that's ridiculous; a static IP address can't work without specifying a
> gateway address.  He gave me his "case number" and all of that rigamarole and I
> phoned Quest tech support myself.
>
> Sure enough.  I told the guy who answered the phone what I want and he said
> that they won't give out the gateway address unless he gets a block of IP
> addresses.  I said that as far am I am aware it is impossible for the customer
> to actually use his static IP address without a gateway, but that made no
> difference.  No gateway.
>
> Qwest gave him some kind of a magical installation CD that set up his Windows
> XP computer to go online.  And it is online, he can plug his Windows computer
> into that modem and browse the web and so on with no problem.
>
> Dandy.  We can get the magic numbers off of this Windows machine.
>
> So I told him to run "ipconfig" and tell me what it says.
>
> IP Address is what he was assigned by Qwest, good.
> Subnet 255.255.255.0, good.
> Gateway 192.168.0.1 ---- ?!?!?!
>

> Whether he is online or offliine with that Windows machine, the traceroute
> stops at 205.171.139.149 as shown.  And his network is not 205.171.139.x!
>
> I have absolutely no idea what's going on here.
>
> Can any of you offer any insight?  The whole thing is an Alice in Wonderland
> thing as far as I can see, and the further I go down this rabbit hole the less
> sense it seems to make.  I don't see how those settings on his Windows computer
> can work, and I don't see how the tracert results that he got can be possible
> either.  But it does, and it did.
>
> And, as I said, nobody that we can actually talk to at Qwest can provide any
> information at all, other than run the CD and it will all be set up by magic.

You may want to check to see if the Windows machine is still doing
DHCP to get its information. Even though he has a static IP address,
the modem may still be configured to use DHCP, and provide a static
IP address that way. If you are using PPPoE, I would still expect
the same setup - you connect as if you were getting a dynamic IP
address, and always get the same static IP address as your DHCP lease.

Mikkel