Re: Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

Anne Wilson wrote:

Except that doing clean installs is a real pain.
That's a problem that could be solved.  Not easily, but at least it
makes an interesting problem...

Getting all the config files right again is what takes so much time after a clean install.

Of course - but if you know where you put the old ones it is the same problem whether you upgrade or install fresh. Maybe the program saving the old copy would need to note whether the config was changed from the initial rpm install or not - I'm not sure how the decision is made during an upgrade about whether to overwrite your old version or put the new one is as a .rpmnew and make you deal with it.

> In many cases it would be no problem to simply copy the
config file from a recent backup. I wonder if some of the pain could be eased quite simply by pointing out in the Release Notes which packages need important changes to the config files? I'm thinking, for instance, of when dovecot went from 0.99 to 1.0 - where the config section for authorisation needed changes.

I'm only thinking of significant changes like that, so I wouldn't think there would be too many. The comfort that anything not listed there could probably get away with the old config file could save considerable time and effort.

There's other stuff, like when the postgres database format changes and you have to dump and reload. That would be considerably easier with extra space to work. Then there's the stuff that fedora people don't like to talk about - that you have to get from other repositories. Those would work the same way as long as you could patch up the repository list and find matching package names, but it's unlikely that anything shipped by fedora would include the list of matching repository names.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx