Re: Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

On Wednesday 16 May 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >
> > Except that doing clean installs is a real pain.
>
> That's a problem that could be solved.  Not easily, but at least it
> makes an interesting problem...

Getting all the config files right again is what takes so much time after a
clean install.  In many cases it would be no problem to simply copy the
config file from a recent backup.  I wonder if some of the pain could be
eased quite simply by pointing out in the Release Notes which packages need
important changes to the config files?  I'm thinking, for instance, of when
dovecot went from 0.99 to 1.0 - where the config section for authorisation
needed changes.

I'm only thinking of significant changes like that, so I wouldn't think there
would be too many.  The comfort that anything not listed there could probably
get away with the old config file could save considerable time and effort.

Anne