Re: Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

On Tue, 15 May 2007 19:01:33 -0400
"G.Wolfe Woodbury" <ggw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 03:18:54PM -0700, stan wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 May 2007 17:16:34 -0400
> > "G.Wolfe Woodbury" <ggw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

> > > The harshness of Rahul's tone is much too common in the Fedora
> > > community, and is part of the "failing" we face and need to
> > > correct. IMHO of course.
> > >

> > If anyone's skin is so thin that they are hurt by Rahul's
> > comment, they shouldn't be out in public. :-)
>
> I haven't been called "thin-skinned" for a long, long time.

I wasn't thinking you were thin skinned.  You were being thin skinned
for others.  A noble trait.  (That isn't sarcasm)

<snip>

> But that being said, I do think the bluntness of his commentary,
> and the commentary of some others in the F/OSS community (where there
> is little tolerance for "political correctness") is *perceived*
> to be harsh and unfriendly.
>
> When I go to hold the hands of users and friends as they approach
> the "high-tech" stuff they ask me to help them with, I try hard to
> understand and empathise with their uncertainties and fears.  This
> goes a long way to helping them and F/OSS get along together.
>
> When I say that I'm testing F7 in some locales (even here in RedHat's
> backyard) I get conversations about how Fedora is "too unfriendly"
> for "them" to use.  I've had quite a few conversations over this
> perception and have, hopefully, eased a bit of the FUD that clouds
> Fedora and F/OSS in general.
>
> The recent patent threats from Redmond, WA are no help either.

I suspect Windows Vista isn't meeting their marketing projections, so
they are trying to nudge the market.  Of course, they could compete on
product excellence but they have been a monopoly for so long they have
forgotten how.  The fire is gone from Microsoft, it's stodgy now.