Re: Printer lockup (FC4)

On Thursday 10 May 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Thursday 10 May 2007, Les wrote:

>> > So, working as root, on the server:
>> >
>> > lpadmin [ -E ] [ -h server ] -p printer option(s)
>> >
>> > lpadmin -E -p Photo
>> > lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Bad file descriptor
>> >
>> > and trying it on the local box:
>> >
>> > lpadmin -E -h borg.lydgate.lan -p Photo
>> > lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Bad file descriptor
>> >
>> > Ideas?
>> >
>> > Anne
>>
>> Hi, Anne,
>>     This happened to me after an update.  I had to delete and recreate
>> the printer to get it working again, and even then I had to reboot to
>> make it start working...
>>
>>     Who knows.  I got no useful messages from the logs other that
>> messages about the bad file descriptor like you have here.  I suspect
>> that a change in CUPS
>> forced a modification to the file descriptor that CUPS uses to identify
>> the printer, but the update never updated the description file.
>> Deleting and recreating the printer entry did.
>>
>>     I don't even know where the printer descriptions are held, and never
>> thought to look.
>
>I don't think I can blame an update this time.  For one thing, the printer
> is on an FC4 box, so cups hasn't been updated for a long time.  For
> another, I had actually completed the first page of the print when the
> paper-jam caused the problem.
>
>I'm reluctant to do the re-install of the printer, just because I hate being
>beaten :-) but I may have to.  It worked last time I got into this sort of
>mess.
>
>Anne

This sounds like a case where the 'beh' utility could come in handy Anne.  It
becomes a filter script that sits between your app, and the printer.  I've
run out of ink, out of paper, even power cycled the printer, and when the
error has been cleared, the printer will start right back up where it left
off in the job.  beh means Backend Error Handler, and some of it has been
built into the most recent cups-1.2 releases.  Either the cups list or the
gimp-print list might be a good place to ask about it.  Preferably the cups
list.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)