Re: Grub problem

Frank Tanner III wrote:
On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 16:49 -0400, Tod wrote:
Rick Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 21:08 -0400, Tod wrote:
Tod Merley wrote:
On 5/3/07, Tod <tod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm trying to stabilize a RH9 machine so I can upgrade to FC6.  For some
reason GRUB is ignoring the timeout and upon reboot leaves the boot
screen up without ever booting the default image.

Has anyone ever heard of this.  Anything I can check?

Thanks - Tod

Hi Tod!

I am not sure exactly what you are saying.

Can you hit a key (in particular escape) when the boot screen
(splash?) first comes up and see the boot menu?
I'm actually assisting a remote user. The problem is that if the machine reboots, which it magically seems to be doing every Saturday, and there is no one around, it sits at the Grub splash screen until someone shows up on Monday and selects a kernel to boot to. After that everything is fine.
I'd be checking every crontab I can find for the reboot issue.  I'd also
be checking the machine for rootkits and other malware.  This sounds
like the machine's "owned" by a hacker.

I did and found nothing, very frustrating. Any ideas on what to look for that I may have missed?

I'm going to do a clamscan tonight to see if that turns up anything.

How is the power in the room where the machine is located?  Is it
possible that there is a brown-out condition causing it?  How about the
possibility that someone is un-plugging the machine temporarily?

It is supposed to be fine, we discussed that possibility too. I also suggested the possibility that someone might be playing with him as a joke.

I also thought that maybe the power supply was bad or we had a bad memory stick but the consistency of the reboot kind of ruled that out.

As funny as this sounds, we had a cleaning person that was unplugging a
server from a PDU to plug in his fricken buffer when he came through to
buff the hall-way outside of the server room.  We chased our tails for
MONTHS trying to figure out the cause, until one of our junior
sys-admins had to stay late one night to work on an unrelated issue.
Needless to say we had a few harsh words for the manager of the cleaning
crew.

What a pain. Luckily this isn't a high availability production box or I'd really be pulling my hair out.

I just spoke to my contact and the keyboardless operation was the cause of the grub hanging problem. He plugged in the keyboard, init 6, and everything came up fine. I was sure if that was the issue the BIOS would have complained but I've been wrong before.

Thanks - Tod