Re: Grub problem

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 16:49 -0400, Tod wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:

> >> I'm actually assisting a remote user.  The problem is that if the
> >> machine reboots, which it magically seems to be doing every Saturday,
> >> and there is no one around, it sits at the Grub splash screen until
> >> someone shows up on Monday and selects a kernel to boot to.  After that
> >> everything is fine.
> >
> > I'd be checking every crontab I can find for the reboot issue.  I'd also
> > be checking the machine for rootkits and other malware.  This sounds
> > like the machine's "owned" by a hacker.
> >

> I did and found nothing, very frustrating.  Any ideas on what to look
> for that I may have missed?
>
> I'm going to do a clamscan tonight to see if that turns up anything.

How is the power in the room where the machine is located?  Is it
possible that there is a brown-out condition causing it?  How about the
possibility that someone is un-plugging the machine temporarily?

As funny as this sounds, we had a cleaning person that was unplugging a
server from a PDU to plug in his fricken buffer when he came through to
buff the hall-way outside of the server room.  We chased our tails for
MONTHS trying to figure out the cause, until one of our junior
sys-admins had to stay late one night to work on an unrelated issue.
Needless to say we had a few harsh words for the manager of the cleaning
crew.

> Tod

Frank Tanner III (pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

ICQ:  1730844