Re: Grub problem

Rick Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 21:08 -0400, Tod wrote:
Tod Merley wrote:
On 5/3/07, Tod <tod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm trying to stabilize a RH9 machine so I can upgrade to FC6.  For some
reason GRUB is ignoring the timeout and upon reboot leaves the boot
screen up without ever booting the default image.

Has anyone ever heard of this.  Anything I can check?

Thanks - Tod

Hi Tod!

I am not sure exactly what you are saying.

Can you hit a key (in particular escape) when the boot screen
(splash?) first comes up and see the boot menu?

I'm actually assisting a remote user. The problem is that if the machine reboots, which it magically seems to be doing every Saturday, and there is no one around, it sits at the Grub splash screen until someone shows up on Monday and selects a kernel to boot to. After that everything is fine.

I'd be checking every crontab I can find for the reboot issue.  I'd also
be checking the machine for rootkits and other malware.  This sounds
like the machine's "owned" by a hacker.

I did and found nothing, very frustrating. Any ideas on what to look for that I may have missed?

I'm going to do a clamscan tonight to see if that turns up anything.

Tod