Re: kernel upgrade with yum removed old kernels

On 5/7/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kam Leo wrote:

> You stated the documented and actual behavior for the installonlyn
> plugin changed and that it was too difficult or not worth the effort
> to modify the FC5 release-notes. Ergo, my recommendation, document the
> change in installyonlyn.conf.

File a RFE.

Pointless and totally ineffective. I cannot change developer habits.
Those who care about their code will document.

Besides, Fedora Core is totally schedule driven. Documentation bugs
are considered critical and do not hold a release. Using FC5 release
notes as an example. Under the  heading "Latest Release Notes on the
Web",  http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/fc5/ , it states
"These release notes may be updated." Truth is it does not happen. Not
for a free product with a 18 month life span.

  It is the fastest way to disseminate
> the change. Commandline help would work, too,  but it appears that yum
> does not provide hooks to extend help.

I don't know where you got that impression but it does.

If a hook is available then why wouldn't/shouldn't options for
installonlyn appear? Here's what appears:

# yum --help
usage: yum [options] < grouplist, localinstall, groupinfo,
localupdate, resolvedep, erase, deplist, groupremove, makecache,
upgrade, provides, shell, install, whatprovides, groupinstall, update,
groupupdate, info, search, check-update, list, remove, clean,
grouperase >

 -h, --help            show this help message and exit
 -t, --tolerant        be tolerant of errors
 -C                    run entirely from cache, don't update cache
 -c  [config file]     config file location
 -R  [minutes]         maximum command wait time
 -d  [debug level]     debugging output level
 -e  [error level]     error output level
 -y                    answer yes for all questions
 --version             show Yum version and exit
 --installroot=[path]  set install root
 --enablerepo=[repo]   enable one or more repositories (wildcards allowed)
 --disablerepo=[repo]  disable one or more repositories (wildcards allowed)
 -x [package], --exclude=[package]
                       exclude package(s) by name or glob
 --obsoletes           enable obsoletes processing during updates
 --noplugins           disable Yum plugins

With the exception of enabling or disabling all plugins the plugins
are totally isolated from yum.

Rahul