Re: Can no longer use my USB mouse with my laptop

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 10:48:52PM -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Any information as to why the cubbi_suspend2 kernels exist and why they
>> are necessary would be appreciated here.  I assumed (probably
>> incorrectly) that they were used on most laptops.  Image my surprise
>> last night to discover the are shunned by people here!
>
> They are used quite a lot, but since they are not the default on a
> Fedora CD they are not used by a majority of people around here.
>
> The people were more shunning on either a vendor calling a modified
> version of Fedora still Fedora (e.g. adding swsusp2, ipw3945 etc
> support requires the vendor to drop the Fedora trademark, even adding
> a single bit different than what the Fedora media gives you requires
> that), or on reporting possible bugs in something added outside of
> Fedora as bugs on the vanilla Fedora rpms.

Well, I guess that's between RedHat and my vendor.

> The purpose of the kernel-suspend2-...cubbi kernels is support for
> software suspend2. The vendor may be correct that it is needed for
> proper suspend/resume support, but otherwise that's all this kernel
> offers you in advance.

OK, thanks.  I'll keep this in mind when I ask further questions about
the software on my laptop.

> So most importantly, you should be able to install/boot a Fedora
> kernel and will likely "only" lose the abbility to suspend and perhaps
> the wifi. But you'll be able to to test the USB mouse to know which
> way to go from here, e.g. continue reporting on Fedora resources as it
> will affect the vanilla Fedora kernel rpm, or report to the OEM.

OK, I have booted the stock 2944 kernel.  And my mouse remained
non-functional, *BUT*, there were no messages logged about, which got me
thinking again.  After much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair, I
resynced the mouse with the wireless USB receiver, and lo and behold, it
started working, and its worked again on every kernel I've booted it on.
 B^(   I still don't know *why* the mouse lost sync with its receiver
(it might still be related to the suspend2 kernel, I just don't know),
but I've solved my problem.  Thanks to everyone who offered up a
positive suggestion.  I look forward to continuing to use FC6 on this
laptop (using whatever kernel provides me the most functionality).  And
I come out of this situation a little bit wiser.

Now its on to figure out why I can't bring up the IEEE-802.11g wireless
network connector reliably (ipw3945abg).   B^)   But, that is a topic
for another email thread.  (At least Fedora 7 seems to want wireless to
always work!)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx