Re: Can no longer use my USB mouse with my laptop

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 09:46:44PM -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> OK, so I plug my wireless USB mouse into my laptop, and I see the
> following messages in my logs:
>
> > Apr 27 21:08:32 kjclap kernel: usb 1-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
> > Apr 27 21:08:32 kjclap kernel: Device driver usbdev1.2_ep00 lacks bus and class support for being resumed.
> > Apr 27 21:08:32 kjclap kernel: usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> > Apr 27 21:08:32 kjclap kernel: input: HID 062a:0000 as /class/input/input8
> > Apr 27 21:08:32 kjclap kernel: input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [HID 062a:0000] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1
> > Apr 27 21:08:32 kjclap kernel: Device driver usbdev1.2_ep81 lacks bus and class support for being resumed.
>
> and my mouse doesn't work.  It used to work!  Can someone please shed
> some light on the messages, and explain why it doesn't even work after
> rebooting the machine?
>
> kernel-suspend2-2.6.20-1.2933_1.fc6.cubbi_suspend2
>
> I've recently booted 2.6.20-1.2944_1.fc6.cubbi_suspend2 and it didn't
> work there either.  This laptop came with
> 2.6.19-1.2895_1.fc6.cubbi_suspend2 installed initially.  As far as I can
> tell, this may have broken with the 2.6.20-1.2933 kernel and I didn't
> notice it until recently (I don't always use the mouse with this laptop).

That sounds interesting, I didn't knew that OEMs were using cubbi
kernels.

If you want to see whether this is a bug with the cubbi kernel or the
Fedora vanilla kernel it is based on, why not install the
corresponding vanilla kernel and see if it's broken there, too?

Maybe you need the cubbi kernel for using the laptop in general, but
the Fedora kernel should at least boot up, so you can test the
mouse. Of course, if the Fedora kernel does not even boot on your
hardware, you can't compare at all, so asking whether a similar USB
issue has been fixed in the Fedora kernels will also not really help
you.

Assuming that you can boot into the Fedora kernel rpm, then check if
your mouse is broken there, as well. If it is then you should comment
and post output based on the Fedora kernel, not the cubbi one.

If it is not, then the problem lies in the diff between the Fedora
kernel and this one, and you should really not take it up with Fedora
resources. Depending on what the vendor did, e.g. get the kernel from
ATrpms, Matthias or rebuild himself, you should direct the issue to
the last rebuilder.

FWIW the cubbi kernels don't usually have special hardware support, so
since the vendor says that you can only use these for the specific
laptop brand it may be that the OEM picked the kernel rpm added some
patches and rebuilt it under the same name. That would be really bad
and the vendor should be notified to use a different scheme.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net