Re: Can no longer use my USB mouse with my laptop

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings writes:
>
>>> Yep and this is a violation of Fedora trademarks if they are calling the
>>> OEM installation Fedora. Please let me know with more details if that's
>>> the case.
>>
>> What's the difference between the OEM packaging this kernel-suspend2 vs
>> me installing it myself from a 3rd party repository.  Its built from the
>> official FC6 source files (isn't it?).
>
> Of course not.  Nobody would take "official FC6 source files",
> unmodified, and call them something else, just for the hell of it.

I never said they did.  Stop reading in things I didn't say.  I said
they added something to the stock Fedora Kernel.  Thats why the release
numbers have similarities!

>> To tell you the truth, I have no idea how heavily modified this
>> particular kernel is, but my vendor tells me its necessary to run this
>> kernel in order to support the hardware on my laptop.
>
> In that case, if you're having a problem with kernel support for your
> hardware, why are you asking about that here?  You should be taking all
> these issues to your vendor.  It's their kernel.  Not Fedora's kernel.

Prove to me that these problems don't exist in the stock Fedora kernel.
 Then I'll happily go away.  I asked a question, the hostility being
handed back is very unusual for this forum.

>> Now, if you are telling me that the error message I'm seeing is not
>> present in the official 2.6.20 kernels that Fedora ships in either its
>
> I used to see a bunch of error messages when booting one of my servers,
> about a year ago.  So much, in fact, that the Fedora kernel wouldn't
> even boot.
>
> I'm fairly sure that all those error messages are still in the current
> kernel.  Except that the kernel bug that triggered them has been fixed
> now.  And I don't see those error messages, any more.
>
> Just because the literal text of a bunch of error messages is the same
> as in the stock Fedora kernel, that means zilch, in your case.  There
> may very well be completely different reasons why they would end up
> being reported in your kernel, and in Fedora's kernel.  Trying to follow
> up on the reason why those error messages might be reported by Fedora is
> likely to do nothing but set you off on a wild goose chase.
>
>> 2933 or 2944 kernels, then that's useful information to me that I can
>> take back to my vendor.
>
> The only useful information anyone can give you here is regarding stock
> Fedora kernels.  Since you don't use them, none of that information will
> be very useful for you.

That is an over generalization.  If you have useful information give it.
I'll be the judge whether or not its useful to me!

>>                         But, if not, then please tell me about these
>> error messages and why my mouse won't work with the FC6 2.6.20 kernels.
>
> Only your vendor can give you an accurante answer to that question.
> Nobody around here knows what exactly is in the kernel you're running.
> I'm sure that a fairly good guess can be made, but this is just one of
> those things where "fairly good" is not good enough.  You have to know
> exactly what's in there.

And you think my vendor is going to respond to an email from me at
midnight on a Friday night?  Get serious.  The support from this group
is much better for answering simple questions.  I never said I cared if
the answer I got was useful or not.  I just want to know if anyone else
has seem this problem or not.  Sheesh!  (Obviously given the hostile
attitudes here, noone else has seen it.)  There, how difficult was that
to say?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx