Re: Can no longer use my USB mouse with my laptop

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

Prove to me that these problems don't exist in the stock Fedora kernel.
Then I'll happily go away.

Prove it to yourself. Download and install the stock Fedora kernel, boot into it, and see what happens.

If you search the archives, you won't find a recent rash of complaints about USB mice suddenly breaking after kernel updates. Nobody can reproduce your exact configuration, at very least because you haven't told us what it is.

Earlier:

What do other Fedora Core Users do to support suspend/hibernate in their
laptops?

In my case, it just works (suspend does, anyway), modulo some video chip power consumption issue that took a while to get fixed three years ago. When that was a problem, I ran specially patched kernels. If I had any other problem, I'd verify it with the stock kernel and only then report it here.

And:

Please tell me how my question differs from all of the very useful help
people get using the nVidia proprietary video drivers) which I also use
on my desktop machine).

Plenty of people provide help getting the NVidia drivers working because they are popular and people with experience are willing to share their experiences. People do not help NVidia driver users to debug other issues. To a person, they would tell you to remove the NVidia driver and reproduce the problem using the stock kernel. They would tell you this for the same reason they are telling you the same thing now: Nobody knows what effect the modifications might have, because nobody knows what the modifications are.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu