Re: [FC6 x86_64] X does not start

Le Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:49:38 +0930,
Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote :

> I've heard of playing music to your plants, but to your computer?  ;-)

Let's call that an experiment in progress then :-)

One of these days I'll try heavy metal.  Especially afterwards if I
forget to do a cd /tmp (see below).

> > Why is the same machine not having this problem with SuSE 9.3, 10.0,
> > 10.2 in x86_64 mode ? I have the latest nvidia stuff from yum for
> > FC6. I presume yum has the latest.

> Do they all have the same NVidia code (i.e. from *them* not a
> repackage)?  Also, do they all have the same X code?  I'd be guessing
> that there's a few variable factors.

Could very well be.  But then would this be a 'secret' ?

Like, *them*, they made it so that firefox can play youtube videos right
after install in x86_64 mode.  No secret in there.  Why wouldn't Fedora
do the same ?  Why would we have to manually install what it takes to
be able to view youtube stuff in Fedora x86_64 ?

I mean, some of these things can be trade secrets, but in Open Source
they tend to be quite rare and up to now, that's what makes it so
strong, all distros considered.

> >> Also, depending upon how you installed it, it may be in run level 3
> >> when it boots.
> >> Check /etc/inittab for a line like this:
> >> id:5:initdefault:
> >> See the 5 there?  You may have a 3 there.  Change it to 5 if so.
>
> > What I don't understand yet, is how FC would change the inittab on
> > the fly.

> I've never heard of that.  But Phil talked about depending on how you
> *installed*.  If you installed using text mode, FC has 3 as the
> default runlevel.  If you installed graphically, 5 is the default
> runlevel. Post install, you'd have to change it, yourself.

Yes but then, as I first described this was an intermittent problem
(about 50/50) then that rules out pretty much an init:3 install that
suddenly boots in graphical mode, I think ;-)

One thing I fear is that one of these days when I erase the contents
of /tmp in order to reboot in graphical mode (most of the times it
works but not always - when it doesn't I simply repeat erasing the
files until it reboots in graphical mode or, I start kdm) is that I
will forget to do a cd /tmp before.  It haunts me.  If it was possible
to squeeze in the bootscripts at the appropriate place a script that
would simply erase the contents of /tmp at each reboot, then perhaps
this could bring stability.  Or maybe not.  It surely does not address
the problem and in the wonderful world of software, these things have a
tendancy of popping up sooner or later.

Cheers.