Re: [FC6 x86_64] X does not start

Phil Meyer:
>> Check /etc/grub.conf or /boot/grub/grub.conf and remove the graphical
>> boot (rhgb) from the kernel line.
>> Many video cards have problems switching modes like that.

lanas:
> Experience has shown me that playing accoustic bass guitar while the
> machine boots FC6 helps in getting a full boot up to the graphical
> login screen.  Coincidence ?

I've heard of playing music to your plants, but to your computer?  ;-)

> Why is the same machine not having this problem with SuSE 9.3, 10.0,
> 10.2 in x86_64 mode ? I have the latest nvidia stuff from yum for FC6.
> I presume yum has the latest.

Do they all have the same NVidia code (i.e. from *them* not a
repackage)?  Also, do they all have the same X code?  I'd be guessing
that there's a few variable factors.

>> Also, depending upon how you installed it, it may be in run level 3
>> when it boots.
>> Check /etc/inittab for a line like this:
>> id:5:initdefault:
>> See the 5 there?  You may have a 3 there.  Change it to 5 if so.

> What I don't understand yet, is how FC would change the inittab on the
> fly.

I've never heard of that.  But Phil talked about depending on how you
*installed*.  If you installed using text mode, FC has 3 as the default
runlevel.  If you installed graphically, 5 is the default runlevel.
Post install, you'd have to change it, yourself.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.