Re: [FC6 x86_64] X does not start

lanas wrote:
Folks,

  Sometimes X will not start on a x86_64 nvidia geforce 6600 machine.
The system boots to the prompt.  So what I do then is this, as root:

  cd /tmp
  rm -fr .*
  rm -fr *
  kdm

  Then X starts, as well as KDE.  Some fonts are missing (in emacs), but
at least the system works.

  Then I reboot and it generally starts OK the next time.

  But from time to time, it boots back to the prompt.  It's
annoying on the part of a mature system but then I have all my audio
tools in there.

  If I was to put the above instructions, except from kdm) in the
normal boot sequence, where would be the best place amongst the boot
scripts ?

Al

Check /etc/grub.conf or /boot/grub/grub.conf and remove the graphical boot (rhgb) from the kernel line.

Many video cards have problems switching modes like that.

Also, depending upon how you installed it, it may be in run level 3 when it boots.

Check /etc/inittab for a line like this:

id:5:initdefault:

See the 5 there?  You may have a 3 there.  Change it to 5 if so.

Also check what run level you are in:

$ who -r
run-level 5  2007-04-19 09:59                   last=S

You might see a three where that 5 is.  If so, fix /etc/inittab and then:

# init 5

or simply reboot.