Re: core 6 issues

On 4/24/07, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/24/07, JJ JJ <jj28h@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> Jessica again. Ok, this is what I got from the term for kernel:
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.20-1.2944.fc6xen #1 SMP Tue Apr 10 18:03:37
> EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> Also, I found the command poweroff in the bin dir like someone told me. I
> run it, but still the same. System halted, and that's it. Computer still on.
> I'd like to mention that I have 2 copies of Windows on this rig, and they
> both shutdown just fine, so I don't think I have to look in the bios
> settings. I also forgot to mention that this is my first experience with
> linux, but I believe you've realized it by now.
> What should I do now?
> Thanks again,
> JJ

Have you tried Aaron's suggestions?  Whether or not #1 applies, #2
should be true and it's possible #3 (dmesg | grep -i acpi) could help
you diagnose the problem.

In my experience, you should be able to add a parameter to grub.conf
to get a full shutdown - but that parameter's going to vary based on
your hardware.

Chris

OK, you have a AMD64 compatible computer running the XEN
(virtualization enabled) version of the kernel.  What happens if you
choose the non-xen kernel? (By the way, you do not need to run VMware
under the XEN kernel.)