Re: Help - I've completely borked up my linux

Knute Johnson writes:

I was playing around trying to install xubuntu on a usb doover and somehow I completely borked up my FC6 installation. I have a computer with two hard drives. On the first drive is Win XP and the second had (and I think still does but borked) FC6. I went to boot it after I got done playing with the xubuntu and FC6 wouldn't start. It starts to come up but about the time it goes looking for the drives it panics saying it can't find /dev/root. I booted the FC6 Rescue CD and it says there are no Linux partitions. I ran fdisk and looked at /dev/sdb and it says there are two partitions, sdb1 and 2 and 1 is marked bootable.

Am I completely hosed or do you think I can recover from here?

If the rescue CD cannot find your Linux partitions, you're pretty much borked. Someone who knows what they're doing might be able to salvage a few things, but there's no cookie-cutter "follow-the-numbers" recipe for recovering from that kind of borkage. You have to examine things in details, and basically take it one step at a time.