Re: Dual DNS entries (was no subject)

Gareth Howlett wrote:
I have an odd question about updating a DNS server with an FC4
machine's
entry...

I have two NICs on the same box and I want each of them to respond to
different hostnames... EG: NIC1 = 1.abc.com, NIC2= 2.abc.com... Is
there
a way of doing this with the default FC4-style install (besides the
obvious cron script using nsupdate)?

- Gareth

I am not sure I understand the question. If I am hearing you right,
you
have one box with two IP addresses. You have another box (maybe) that
is
running a DNS. You want to have two DNS names that point the same box but are specific to the interfaces. Is this right?

If so, just create two "A" records. Each one will have its own name
and
will reference the specific IP addresses you are wanting them to associate with.

This seems a little too easy... am I missing something?

Nope, you got the idea, but... Maybe I forgot to include a few details
which make a little tougher - I don't admin the DNS server; I can't add
static, permanent entries on the server side.  I need to be able to add
these entries remotely and preferably using a Fedora-standard way (not
writing my own script to do it).

I know when you're using DHCP there are some lines you can specify in
the ifcfg-eth* files to update the DNS.  Is there an equivalent when
using static IPs?

You can put entries in /etc/hosts, allows definition of lookups for hosts not in DNS. Also useful if your DNS server on your ISP is an overloaded and/or poorly run service.