Re: feed-on-feeds (LAMP stuff)

On Thursday 19 April 2007 08:15:54 Thufir wrote:
> I'm trying to install either
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/pears/>, or
> preferably, <http://code.google.com/p/feed-on-feeds/>.
>
> pears gave:
>
> [root@localhost Desktop]#
> [root@localhost Desktop]# rpmbuild -ta pears-1.7.tgz
> error: Legacy syntax is unsupported: copyright
> error: line 18: Unknown tag: Copyright:    GPL
> [root@localhost Desktop]#
> [root@localhost Desktop]# date
> Thu Apr 19 06:47:32 BST 2007
> [root@localhost Desktop]#

Untar the package and just edit the spec file,delete the Copyright line and
write:

License: GPL

Try to rebuild it again.

> so, I figure better to go with feeds-on-feeds, which seems to be sorta
> maintained:
>
> "How do I install and use FEED ON FEEDS?
> Installing it.
>
>     1. Download this tarball.
>     2. Explode it.
>     3. Edit the file config.php to contain the correct DB connection
> information.
>            * If needed, create a MySQL DB for FEED ON FEEDS.  Or, you can
> use an existing DB.
>     4. Upload the entire tree to wherever on your server you want FEED ON
> FEEDS to live.
>     5. Load the page http://{your server}/{wherever you put FEED ON
> FEEDS}/install.php.  The installer will first check that it can connect
>   to your DB, and then attempt to create the necessary two tables.  Then,
> it will  attempt to create a subdirectory called cache where it will store
> cached copies  of RSS feeds.  This part of the installation may fail, as
> your PHP process may  not have permission to create a directory.  You may
> need to create the directory {wherever you uploaded FEED ON FEEDS
> to}/cache/ yourself, and make sure  it is writable by the PHP process.  If
> you needed to do that, reload install.php.
>     6. You should now see a message that says you're ready to go!"
> <http://feedonfeeds.com/>
>
> I have apache up and running to the point where I get the "default" page,
> or I can browse to <http://localhost/helloworld.html> for my own html, or
> <http://localhost/mysql_up.php> shows that MySQL is up and running.  I can
> poke around in MySQL, read a PHP script, start some services, and so on,
> but all this is new to me.
>
> /var/www/html/helloworld.html is the full path for the hello world test.
>
> According to step 4, could I upload the tree to /var/www/html/ ?

You should take a look to the DocumentRoot line in your httpd.conf and once
you have located that dir, upload it.
By default, yes, /var/www/html is where you're supposed to upload it.

> According to step 3, how would I determine the "correct" DB connection
> info?

Once you have created the user and the database, try this:

mysql -D database_you_want_to_use -u user_you_want_to_user -p

Hope this helps
Manuel.
--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.