Re: [Fedora] Re: Alternatives to du

Alan Cox wrote:
Backuppc is a very real world use case. It is so handy everyone should be running it: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ It works pretty well as long as you don't try to traverse the whole directory tree or copy the archive with a file-oriented mechanism.

Please stop hijacking threads with completely unrelated discussions and
trying to make out they are somehow related. The discussion about
directory sizes is solely about single very large directories.

I started a du on my 250 gig backuppc partition when I read the first message in this thread. It hasn't finished yet. It doesn't have a single very large directory - just very many filenames. I thought this thread was about du taking a long time to complete, not just one kind of layout that exhibits the problem.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx