Alternatives to du

I have a need to determine the amount of space used in a particular folder, but don't really want to use du because of the beating my RAID array takes. (Usually 6 hours or so on a RAID 5 for a folder with about 350GB of data) Are there any other similar tools out there that don't require smacking around my hard drives to get the data and don't take hours to run?

--
Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator