Re: Alternatives to du

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Matthew Miller wrote:

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 11:10:28AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
I have a need to determine the amount of space used in a particular
folder, but don't really want to use du because of the beating my RAID
array takes.  (Usually 6 hours or so on a RAID 5 for a folder with about
350GB of data)  Are there any other similar tools out there that don't
require smacking around my hard drives to get the data and don't take
hours to run?
Where else would such a program get the data? Elves?

Man am I cranky this morning. Sorry for the tone. But the point stands. :)

That sounds like an indicator of a bigger problem. On an unraided 330GB drive, du takes a fraction of that to complete. (I would have to run a test to get actual times.) Sounds like there is something else going on.

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                  - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark