Re: Fedora/RH policies sometimes suck

linuxmaillists@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Monday 09 April 2007, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> linuxmaillists@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> Now back to my original question does any one know
>>> where I can find information that shows what packages
>>> Fedora has stripped because of questionable legal
>>> issues?
>> Maybe http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-licensing.html
>> will be a starting point.
>
> I understand WHY fedora is doing it and I don't care because
> I don't have to follow their lead.  How is looking at the
> legal stuff on the openoffice site going to tell me what
> other packages Fedora has modified because of legal issues?

I said it was a "start" and not the end all.  One would have to look into
the various contributor's contracts with OpenOffice to determine what, if
any restrictions exist.

Barring that, you could contact the Red Hat / Fedora legal department and
potentially get an answer from them.

But, would it really be worth it?  You know some functionalities are
missing...but you don't know all.  So, to prevent missing a functionality
simply install the rpms from OpenOffice.  Then, you're done.

> I also have a copy of the LGPL and the GPL.  I understand
> all the legal stuff.

You haven't learned that *nobody* understands *all* the legal stuff?  If
there were such people litigation would be quick and easy.

> I just want to know what other
> packages are on the Fedora distro that are are missing
> original functionality simply because of legal issues.

And that would help how?  Yes, you'd know what you're missing...but you
already know you're missing "something" so why not install the OpenOffice
rpms and be assured of missing nothing.

> Several of you sure have got worked up over nothing.  Every
> one has their opinion about the free stuff and the legal
> stuff.  Every one of us are potential legal targets just
> because we using any version of Linux.  We have all seen
> the articles about SCO, IBM and MS.  These big companies
> don't have the resources to get every body so we don't have
> to make a big deal out of this legal stuff.  Lets just live
> our lives and the Heck with these people that want to be
> miserable and try to get other people.  I do understand why
> Fedora/RH do what they do.  They are a big target.  The
> rest of us aren't.

Right....that is why some teens are being brought into court by the music
industry for downloading certain music.  :-)

FWIW, I'm not worked up about anything.  Life is too short.  But, yeah,
Matthew's observation about your subject line should be noted.  You seemed
to be "blaming" Fedora/RH for adhering to the law of the land in which they
operate.

--
Sendmail may be safely run set-user-id to root.
		-- Eric Allman, "Sendmail Installation Guide"