Re: Trying to get wireless card to work in FC6

Mike C wrote:
kalinix <calin.kalinix.cosma <at> gmail.com> writes:
Mike,

Are you using the default configuration for wpa_supplicant? If yes, you
may want to have a look at the configuration file,
in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Also, you may want to use wpa_cli (again as root) in order to see
whether the wless associates itself correctly (I think it does, but you
can double check).

And last, you may want to review your firewall configuration, both on
your w-less machine and the machine you try to ping.

In fact I am not using wpa_supplicant - this attempt was just using "network"
(the NetworkManager daemon plus Dispatcher were not running)

I also turned off the firewall on this machine altogether (both ipv4 and 6) and
it made no difference - and I cannot even ping the wireless router from this
machine. All other wireless machines here can ping that router (by address). If
I do ifdown ath0 and ifup eth0 (wired) then I immediately get back to normal
wired networking.

I also removed the version I had compiled and re-installed kmod-madwifi from
livna - with exactly the same result.

Will try more avenues (I even tried ndiswrapper from livna but as soon as I
plugged in my card it hung the entire machine and I could not get out of X, nor
regain a boot using alt-sysrq-b !)

Mike

Mike,

Just a hunch. Can you boot with the 2.6.19 kernel if its available on your box and see if that makes a difference? Maybe completely unrelated, but I yum upgraded last week sometime, along with the 2.6.20 kernel, and my IPW2100 card started acting flaky. When I went back to the previous version all was well.

I haven't really investigated the problem, just switched back to the previous kernel to keep moving. I also just noticed fedora extras has a package for the ipw2100 that I haven't experimented with so take this all with a grain of salt.

tOd