Re: FC4 -> FC6

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 16:29 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>
> > There are many applications that I was running in FC4 that I still have
> > not found for FC6 in rpm form.
>
> Such as ...
>
> > It also took a very very long time to do, almost all day.  A clean
> > install was under an hour plus the updates.
>
> How exactly did you do the upgrade?
> Did you run the installation CD, and choose "upgrade"?
> I don't think this should have taken all day,
> or indeed more time than a clean install and update.

Oh no, me Irish Colleague. With a clean install there is no dependency
Hell. It's spun to your harddrive as fast as the transfer can go from
the CD device. With an upgrade, rpm is blowing it's lungs out deciding
what and what not to do. That takes almost as much time as a clean
install. (About one hour at most) Just a plain ole nightly yum update
can take hours.   and fails more than it works due to some obscure
depend. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net