please help: xv on FC6 x86_64 won't set root window

I have been running FC6 on an x86_64 box for several months and have a problem.

Normally I have a script which cd's to an image directory hierarchy and starts xv with a visual schnauzer to display the thumbnails. Then I pick out my current favorite, send it to the root screen and exit.

However under FC6, this no longer works - unless xv is brought up with the "-root" option, when you bring up the "xv controls" box, everything except window is greyed out and cannot be selected. (If you use the '-root' option then it works as expected, and all root options are selectable.

Up through FC5 on x86, this worked fine, but I got the x86_64 box only a few days before I moved to FC6, and I don't remember whether I ever tried xv under FC5 on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this one? I have redone the build for x86_64 (same problem remains) and none of the x86 versions work correctly on this either. It is not a permissions problem, because the same thing occurs for root as well as for my normal login.

I went through the code, and nothing obvious popped out at me, so any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. (It's minor, I know - but small things tend to sit there and annoy me until I do something about them...)

The options +/-noresetroot don't seem to have any affect, and of course the +root option does not help at all.

FWIW, I did try reading the manuals and all the other docs - all with not luck. :-(

I realize that xv doesn't appear to have been maintained for several years (that I can tell, anyway), and I have tried other programs. If anyone knows of another image-manager/manipulator which can use the .xvpic directory thumbnails (or has a similar capability) I'd be glad to try it and possibly switch. I have tried a few, but with an astronomy image collection of > 10 GB, I don't really like the programs which generate the thumbnails on the fly - they take far too long overall.

Thanks,
- Bill
--
william w. austin                               waustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."