Re: please help: xv on FC6 x86_64 won't set root window

William W. Austin wrote:
snip
I realize that xv doesn't appear to have been maintained for several years (that I can tell, anyway), and I have tried other programs. If anyone knows of another image-manager/manipulator which can use the .xvpic directory thumbnails (or has a similar capability) I'd be glad to try it and possibly switch. I have tried a few, but with an astronomy image collection of > 10 GB, I don't really like the programs which generate the thumbnails on the fly - they take far too long overall.

snip

Correct, xv is not relevant any more.
And yes, I was a fan of xv for years, but that was many years ago, now. :)

All modern desktops now have a concept of the 'Desktop' with many properties, background as one of them, as apposed to the simple X windows root window.

Some Desktop managers allow the root window to show on the Desktop background, but gnome, kde, enlightenment (e17), and others, do not any more.

To accomplish the same thing, and arguably better, use the "Change Desktop Background" menu function.

I saw a script recently that would randomly change the Desktop background image from a directory of images, and I have read that Gnome can do that itself, but much of that info has been collected here:

http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/12/01/random-wallpaper-in-gnome/

Good Luck!