Re: Networked hard drive

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 15 March 2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> It depends on the drive. You need to know what protocols it
>> supports. You may be able to access it using smbclient, and mount as
>> a cifs mount. The first thing I would try is to connect to the
>> drive's IP address from a web browser, and see it it offers a
>> configuration page. You will probably need to set the name and
>> workgroup. The drive may also offer NFS mounts. You will probably
>> need to do some configuration there as well.
>>
> Maybe I've right-royally screwed up here :-)  It came formatted as ntfs, so I
> removed the partition and created ext3 and vfat partitions.  If any software
> was on there I'll have lost it.
>
> The browser doesn't see it.
>
> Anne

It is probably time to dig out the CD that came with the drive, and
read the manual. But looking at the reviews, Linux will probably
only be able to use it as a USB drive, and not a network drive. I
find it interesting that only one machine can have write access at a
time.

I don't think you screwed too badly - the firmware is probably not
on the drive, so the unit should still work. You may be limited to
accessing the VFAT partition over the network from Windows, and you
may end up having to make the VFAT partition the first partition. (I
read that for MAC access, you need to use a FAT32 partition, and not
a NTFS partition.) But unless someone decides to create a Linux
driver for it, you are probably not going to be able to do network
access from Linux.

Mikkel